View Single Post
Old 02-01-2014, 06:31 PM   #6
b khan
QǓεЗη σF ђ3ǍяŤ.......

Users Flag!

b khan has a reputation beyond reputeb khan has a reputation beyond reputeb khan has a reputation beyond reputeb khan has a reputation beyond reputeb khan has a reputation beyond reputeb khan has a reputation beyond reputeb khan has a reputation beyond reputeb khan has a reputation beyond reputeb khan has a reputation beyond reputeb khan has a reputation beyond reputeb khan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jannat Kay Pattay - As I see it

Why did you show so much Fashion in the story and then brought the story to the ‘other side’?

The other side? You mean the non-fashion side, or the Islamic side? Because in my beliefs, Islamic side is not a synonym for non—fashion side. Or Anti-fashion. That was the whole point. Islam is not against fashion or nail polish (yes, in the name of Lord, I do mean N-A-I-L P-O-L-I-S-H), or jewelry, or trendy outfits or hairstyles or shoes. Haya wore everything nice and trendy when she didn’t do pardah. She wore everything nice and trendy after she did parah. I have often seen in novels that when you have to portray a religious girl, you show her to be simple and (I am sorry to say) Maasi type. It might serve the purpose but it makes religion look highly difficult for a normal girl to adopt. We don’t have to show a girl wearing a big beige-colur shawl, a dheeli choti, highly sanjeeda expressions on face to make her look religious. There is a difference in being simple and in being lazy. Yes, if I see a girl dressed in rough clothes, with simply tied hair and a not-so-matching shawl, I will call her a lazy girl who doesn’t spend time on herself. Simple hona aur bat hai, safai na rkhna aur bat. And when religious girls like make-up and jewelry, people look at them as they are involved in a big taboo. Its not like that. Wearing nailpolish does not make you a kaafir. It just doesn’t make your wudhu acceptable so you have to take it off before doing wudhu (and there are porous nail paints these days so wudhu issue is long gone), nail paint se namaz ho jati hai wudhu nahi hota. The only problem is, when girls wear nail paint, they feel too lazy to remove it before the next prayer. This is a girl’s fault, not the nail-paint’s fault. (Oh and did I hear someone saying, if you wear nail pain and die, the nails will go hard and it is impossible to remove the pain because..…!! OMG honestly this is the most ridiculous thing I have ever come across so please don’t repeat it. Just to keep people from wearing nail-paint, you don’t have to come up with such silly arguments.)

Normally, in tv dramas, and in novels, and in islamic institutes, and in the minds of elderly ladies, there is a concept that religion means simplicity. I have no objection. Fine. Islam is another name of simplicity. BUT simplicity is not another name of careless-ness and being reckless from your own personality. Simplicity does not mean wearing patched dress when you can afford a better one. Jab paisa ho tu nazar ana chaheay. But in tv dramas, novels, Islamic institute, (and elderly ladies’ minds) the concept nourishes till we get this image: if we have to show a modern girl reverting islam, we will first show her to be high-fi modern, and then, shawl clad, tied haired, dull, weak, serious, frowned, cold, colourless (wearing colours that suit elder people) and silent. The image of a religious girl is that of a nun. (No offense to my Christian readers, I am just portraying an idea). Or a darvesh who is ‘cut off’ from the whole world and worldly things in his own dedh eent ki masjid. Now, think of your personal Islamic knowledge. MashaAllah you all are blessed with a lot of it. Think and tell, does Islam mean, Rahbaniyat? Being cut off from world? When we offer prayer in masjid with Jama’at, what are the obligations? That the Namazi will join his feet with the namazis on his sides, join to the extent that the feets touch (so that satan does not walk through the gaps). Yahi hukm hai na ba’jamat namaz ka? And then where do we bow and do rukoo’wa’sujood? Towards Qibla. Towards the House of Allah. What does this mean?

It means, ‘logon k darmyan reh kr Allah k samnay jhukna’. Community ke sath rehty huay Allah ki frman’brdari krna. That’s the whole idea. Islam does not mean rehbaniyat. It doesn’t forbid us from looking good. Tell me, does simplicity mean to look like a ‘bhoot’? (Sorry!) Or does it mean to stay clean, and fresh and beautiful? Allah is beautiful and He likes beauty. He has no objection with wearing nice clothes and looking nice. He only forbids from doing israaf – crossing your limits. Wear gold but pay its zakat. Keep a latest model car but do drive it to mosque five times a day. My idea of writing JKP was to show the balanced Muslimah. The general concept (a girl wearing lots of jewelry and makeup is not a good muslimah) is totally wrong. Islam does not forbid from make up or jewelry. Don’t feel guilty if you like them. Which girl doesn’t? Islam just wants you to cover your ‘zeenat’ before you go out or before non-mehrams. (Means zeenat is not haram, uncovering it before other men is!) So why feel guilty for doing make up and wearing stylish clothes? I know a lot of women who are burqa clad when they go out but in ladies functions, or in their homes, they look very stylish, ready, all made up. Secondly, even doing burqa doesn’t mean you become ‘bhoot’

I hope I have well described my stance over this make-up-is-not-haram issue so lets move forward.

Is there going to be a drama on JKP?

No, if Allah wills, I have no intentions of dramatizing JKP or any of my previous or upcoming project. I am neither a dramatist nor I have any interest in TV. I am a novelist and this is what I like to be.

b khan is offline   Reply With Quote